Wednesday 9 April 2014

Dollywood!

Dolly Parton is one of the many strong female role models in my life and I find her a great source of strength and inspiration. So many of her songs and words have meant so much to me over the years, especially in the lead up to this trip.

Dolly on the farm

"If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one."

When she came to Australia a few years ago I went to the Hunter Valley with some good friends of mine and we saw the talented Tennessee gal play live in a vineyard, after a weekend of wine tours, home cooking and Dolly movie watching. It was such a wonderful weekend which I still look back on fondly.

Gingham-tastic with Karina in the Hunter Valley

Dolly 4 Lyf gang at a wine tour

Moar wine!

As she played (11 different instruments: she's so talented!) she told us of her childhood in the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, and how the landscape had inspired so much of her music. I knew then that I must pilgrimate to this part of the world and feel the power in the landscape that Dolly had felt. It was definitely there during my time in the Smokies.

Ever since I knew that Dollywood existed I knew I would have to make a pilgrimage there too, as tacky as it may be, to submerge myself in Dolly's world. Dollywood is her very own theme park, in Pigeon Forge where she grew up (on the banks of the Little Pigeon River). It's got all the things a usual theme park has: rides, rollercoasters, log flumes etc, with a Dolly Parton twist.

Driving down Dollywood Lane


Excited to be here!

The waterwheel

Dollywood visitors

A theme park with its own chapel!



DYing to jump into your skillet!



Wooden roller coaster

Her style, your size!

As I wandered round I felt like I'd gone back in time to Dolly's childhood, and was walking round the old Smokies that inspired her so much. There was a replica of her Tennessee Mountain Home, complete with many of the things which were actually in her childhood home, and a museum which featured an incredible range of her outfits, awards, shoes, photos and other memorabilia.


Tennessee Mountain Home

Memorabilia

Inside Dolly's House

Legends

Dolly's Australian tour schedule 1987

Dolly and her 9 siblings

Coat of many colours


9-5 outfits and script

Wardrobe envy

One of the things which makes Dollywood different from other theme parks is the live music element. I filled my day wandering from stage to stage watching some incredible musicians from all around the world. It was like an old wild west country, bluegrass and folk music festival.

Male Gospel vocalists

Venezuelan harpist

African singers and dancers

The influence of Gospel was evident, with a little chapel in the grounds of the theme park, Gospel singers preaching between songs and a whole museum section dedicated to the spread of Gospel music in this part of the world. I am, after all, deep in the Bible Belt of America and can see this plainly by the sharp increase in the number of churches I have passed on the road, and the plethora of billboard signs and roadside messages about many facets of the Christian religion. More on that later, but it was certainly interesting to see it in full force here at Dollywood. My favourite message from one of her songs is the one of tolerance and kindness in 'Coat of Many Colors':



I loved getting a glimpse into Dolly's past, seeing her memorabilia, feeling the great pride she obviously takes in what she's achieved, enjoying walking round her park on a lovely summer's day and listening to some fantastic music. On the way out there's a video of Dolly talking about the charity she has set up to give free books to the children of Tennessee, to encourage literacy amongst the kids in her home state. She's a shrewd businesswoman, this lady, but also a passionate advocate and vocal philanthropist. My estimation for her has only increased on this trip. Thanks to Kim for the Christmas gift of the ticket to Dollywood!


As I drove there and back through the Smoky Mountains I had Dolly playing in the car. What a lady! And I thought of her wise words as I weather the ups and downs of this trip.

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain!"

I want to be Dolly when I grow up!


Thank you Dolly!

2 comments:

  1. I just love this and fully appreciate how you can almost metamorphosis into her world thanks for sharing it Carmel! happy travels, wish I had been brave enough when I had the opportunity xxx

    ReplyDelete