Wednesday 2 April 2014

North Carolina: Appalachian Mountains, Charlotte, Asheville, Franklin

After the whiny lament of my last post I'd forgive you if you had decided to give up on this blog. But stick with it, dear reader, as things have taken a turn for the better and my troubles have been temporarily brushed to one side. Trust in The Great Outdoors to heal thy woes and lift thy spirits. I've spent a week in gorgeous North Carolina, hiking, driving and hanging out in some lovely places.

The Great Smoky Mountains

I picked up my car in Charlotte, where Spring was in evidence and the modern art museum had a fantastic exhibition on the architect Mario Botta. For my first solo road trip I'm driving a jaunty little white Toyota Yaris – dinky but ridiculously cute (and easy to park). As some of you already know, I actually only passed my driving test 3 weeks before leaving for this trip! Yes, I've spent my entire life living in cities and riding a bicycle, and only got my licence when faced with an epic overseas roadtrip. So this means I'm a fairly novice driver (although by the time I get to New Orleans I'll be an old pro). For this reason I asked the google to choose a route from Charlotte to Asheville which avoided the freeways. (I've not driven on my own on a freeway before so wanted to get some general practice in first.) The upside was that my journey was beautiful. I meandered round the winding roads of North Carolina, through lofty mountains and past shimmering lakes, slowing to 20mph in the quaint, picturesque old towns and gawking at the vistas when reaching the tops of the passes. The downside was that it took almost four hours! I think I'll be aiming to get on the freeway sometime soon.

Charlotte Museum of Modern Art

SFMOMA designs and model

Spring has sprung!

Road trippin'

A typical day during my time here in North Carolina has gone somewhat like this. I wake up, drive to some small village and find the welcome centre or the park ranger. Get a map and ask the friendly person there to recommend a hike of about 8 miles or so. Drive to the trailhead and do said hike. It's worked pretty well so far. Yesterday evening I visited the Nantahala Forest Ranger station and received a hearty 10-mile hike recommendation along with a proper (not free!) topological map of the area. At 9.30am this morning I was at the trailhead, ready to go. This trail was near Standing Indian Mountain, and unlike the trails I've trodden (trod? trid?) thus far it was largely through a forest rather than up to a lookout and then back down. But I've seen some great vistas, and taking inspiration from the Appalachian Trail thru-hikers I met the other day (more on that later!) I thought I'd go and get lost in the woods instead.

The trail started innocuously enough, with a pleasant saunter by a gurgling, gushing creek, heading upstream on a gentle incline. Every now and then I'd leave the creek behind and head into the forest only to hear its happy tune again and rejoin it pretty quickly. Soon I was having to criss-cross the creek, navigating fallen logs and wobbly rocks, and I was thankful for my sturdy North Face walking boots which I purchased in Oregon.

Trail tunnel

Fallen trees over creek

 Into the woods

Shrooms

The forest became thicker and thicker, often causing me to stoop as it overhung the trail. On the occasions when I left the creek behind there was malevolent silence, (aside from the crunch crunching of my feet on the trail). Several times the trail became extremely hairy, with a sheer drop down one side of a ledge no wider than a foot. At such times I repeated my mantra “She was as sure-footed as a mountain goat” and it seemed to serve me well. It also became apparent that this trail had not been followed any time recently. There were no fresh footprints and many sections were obstructed by fallen trees and abundant undergrowth. I was having to beat back branches and brush copious amounts of cobwebs from my arms and face all the time. Aside from being annoying, it heightened my sense of fear. So this wasn't a popular trail, then? Was I even likely to encounter another person? What if I slipped and broke my ankle, what then? I pressed on regardless.

After about an hour I was gripped by a wholly irrational fear that I was going to be eaten by a bear. Black bears hang out in these woods and I've read all about them. I'd be easy prey, for sure, being small, puny and completely incompetent at any form of self-defence. I picked up speed, tramping as quickly as I could through the forest. Soon I was surrounded by tall, naked trees, not yet in their springtime glory (I'm here about 4 weeks too early, apparently) and lots of dry, crunchy leaves underfoot. In the 'Bears 101' leaflet I'd picked up at the Ranger Station it instructed me to make lots of noise so as not to cause the bear to believe it was being snuck up on. (This annoys them, apparently.) So I continued to crunch along, singing the Paladin theme tune from Stand By Me, my go-to hiking song. “ 'Have gun, will travel' reads the card of a man. A night without armour in a savage land.” This just made me feel worse, as I began to get extremely jumpy and find every single noise as ominous as a looming bear. Then I had an awful thought. What if my singing wasn't repelling the bear, but enticing him? What if I was basically saying “Here, bear. Here's a juicy lunchtime morsel; a tasty treat.” What if my singing was encouraging him to draw near? I practically galloped through the forest, scared even by the echo of my own footsteps and longing for the sight of another human being.

Nothing but trees...

Bear literature

I wasn't sure how far I'd come, and I didn't fancy spending time stationary, examining my $10 topological map, as that might make me more obvious to the bear, and anyway, when I was stationary the silence was maddening. If I was hiking in England, I thought, apart from the fact that there would be lots of people around (what with it being a small country and all) there would also be lots of noise. The buzzing of bees, the chirruping of birds, that kind of thing. And when hiking in Australia one is practically deafened by the cacophony of animal noises. Aside from the never-ending squawk of cicadas there is any number of magnificent birds to keep you awake at all hours of the day. But here it was simply, eerily -- nay, ominously -- silent. Apart from my footsteps, of course. My constant, noisy, bear-inviting footsteps.

I knew from my map that at the 6-mile mark there was a place called Park Gap. Four different trails intersected here, so in mountain trail terms it was somewhat of a major junction. I imagined this as a cheery picnic place, complete with information board, carpark, perhaps some running water, and, hopefully, human company. I hastened forward, willing the rest point nearer. I imagined arriving there to be greeted with the sight of a friendly, bearded hiker in his sixties, eating a sandwich while perched on a rock, with a jaunty cap and sturdy walking stick. I would gratefully fling my sweaty arms around him and smooch him on the lips. “Save me from the bear!” I would cry. Etc. I'd been keeping up this pace for two hours now, surely the Gap was close?

And then, all of a sudden, I arrived. And there was nothing. No cars, no picnic table, no information board. And, significantly, no sign of human life. Just a clearing in the woods with a few different trails marked in gaps in the trees. My heart sank. Still, I was pretty hungry so inhaled my lunch in 10 minutes and didn't let myself stop to ponder the unpopularity of these trails. I continued onwards, with only 4 more miles to go. It was a relief to know I was over half way, and the next part of the trail followed a high ridge for quite some time. My visibility was much better than in the depths of the woods and I felt as though I was on the home stretch. I was feeling chipper, with thoughts of bears receding and thoughts of the gallon bottle of water in the boot of my car feeling increasingly comforting. I got lost a couple of times but didn't mind too much.

So when I say 'trail' you may be imagining a clear path through the forest, free from all obstructions and plainly marked, with wooden steps on steep sections and handrails where there are sheer drops. Unfortunately it's not quite that civilised. The US Forest Service do keep the trails fairly well maintained, but you have to be canny to follow them. They are marked with sporadic blue rectangular splodges of paint on the side of a tree, at about eye height. (Some trails are yellow, some red, the Appalachian Trail is white, today's trail was blue.) They are supposed to be visible from each other, so you can easily follow the blue splodges until you complete the trail. Quite frequently, however, due to either fallen trees, overgrown trees, controlled burning, or any number of other reasons, it's very difficult to find the next marker. Often today I simply followed my instincts, looking wildly around me and wandering aimlessly until I glimpsed the elusive blue splodge. Sometimes I backtracked considerably to the last one, and started again, trying to put myself in the shoes of the trailblazer and consider where they might have gone next. I estimate I added about 2 miles onto the trail just from going unintentionally 'off-piste' from time to time. Up on the ridge there were lots of fallen trees, due to North Carolina's recent storms, and several blue splodges had clearly become casualties. It was hard to stick to the trail.

Can you see the blue rectangle?

And then I saw it. I froze. Right there in the middle of the trail in front of me. A pile of fresh bear poo. My pursuer had been right here very recently. Gulp.

No, I didn't stop to photograph the bear poo, I legged it. I grabbed a long, sturdy stick and brandished it menacingly in front of me as I cantered on, manically trying to complete the trail before the bear got me. Fear throbbed in my eardrums and I slipped, lost the trail, struggled to concentrate and thought every sound other than my feet was a bear snort.

As is tradition in such circumstances I begain to compose newspaper headlines upon the occasion of my demise. “BACKPACKER MAULED BY BEAR” and such-like. A solemn and perfectly-manicured news anchor intones “The body of a young woman was found in the Nantahala Mountains today showing evidence of being mauled by a bear. It is believed to be that of the British-Australian traveller reported missing a week ago from her Franklin AirBnB.” Except then I realised that I wouldn't have been described as a 'young' woman, would I? I'm 35 for goodness' sake. And it would take much more than a week to find the body, given how infrequently this trail is followed, and how the bear would have probably dragged my body off to its lair, leaving me with no recogniseable features and so I would have to be identified purely by circumstantial evidence and dental records.

See how the mind works?

Anyway, I'm rambling on. To cut a long story short, I made it back to the car without coming into contact with said bear. Just before the end of the trail I mercifully met a couple of fellow hikers; locals. We passed the time of day and they confirmed that it's too early in the season for many people to be walking these trails yet. In a few weeks they will be much more populated. They reassured me that a bear attack was unlikely and I took comfort after I bid them adieu that if anything should happen to me after that, it wouldn't be long before they caught up with me and could help. I got to the end, propped my anti-bear stick against the trail's starting point for some other hiker to avail of, and drank half a gallon of water. Phew!

The rather grandly named 'Back Country Information Center'

I've done plenty of other hikes here, including a couple of decent sections of the Appalachian Trail. This is one of the longest continuous trails in the world, at approximately 2,200 miles long, and passes through 14 US states along the Appalachian mountains from Georgia to Maine. A couple of hundred people per year carry out the entire length, 'thru-hikers', usually starting in early Spring in Georgia and taking a few months to reach Maine. I met my first thru-hikers the other day on a glorious lookout called Wayah Bald, which gave panoramic views of the Smoky Mountains. I chatted to one of them, a bearded chap with a St Christopher medal around his neck who smelt more than a little ripe after over 3 weeks on the trail. It would be an incredible, Thoreau-esque feat to complete the whole thing. I may have to add it to my bucket list.

The AT

Windswept on the AT (can you see the white splodge?)

Solitude in the woods

The white splodges of the AT

French Broad River from Lovers' Leap

Lost in the woods

Driving to a trailhead: rush hour in the Nantahala Mountains

View of the Smokies from Wayah Bald

Thus far I've only hiked in North Carolina, but am planning to head to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to complete some Tennessee trails while I'm in the area before heading over to Nashville. At the moment I'm in the Nantahala Mountains on the edge of the Smokies, staying in a converted room above someone's garage. It's fabulous actually, complete with a little kitchenette, bathroom and spacious living room. I've really enjoyed being able to cook again (porridge for breakfast! Beef casserole for dinner!) after weeks of being on the road. And it's surprising how lovely it is to be in the same place for more than a couple of days.

My bed and rocking chair


 Welcome sign

Dinner view

Sofa cushion: overkill, perhaps?

I've not really done much other than hike, to be honest. Asheville was pretty fab, especially for a music lover. So much live music and a really lovely alternative vibe to the city, which is rare in this part of the US. Felt a bit like Byron Bay stuck in the Deep South of the USA. Met some great people there and sampled more brilliant America beer.

I'm also getting used to driving, having now clocked up more than 500 miles since I started in Charlotte. I've even had to make my way up some perilously winding steep single track unsealed roads to get to some of the trail heads. Sometimes I catch myself making my fingers numb, I'm gripping the steering wheel so hard. I had to flag down an old boy at Wayah Bald who was out hiking with his grandson and ask him to explain how I go about driving back down such a road (I found myself at the top of one and hadn't quite considered the reverse situation). He explained that I could put the car in a low gear and it would keep it from running away with itself, and make it much easier on the brakes, with the pleasant side-effect of preventing me from skidding too much. This has been extremely useful advice which I have employed on every windy downhill road since then. He also helpfully advised me against picking up any hitchhikers, with the words “It's okay for me, I'm armed, but you're just a girl on your own with no gun, you need to be careful”. What a lovely well-meaning chap he was.


I have to say thank you to everyone who sent me words of encouragement and support following the slight wobble of my last post. It has cheered me up no end and I'm feeling much more positive. You're all fab, you lot. Hope you enjoy reading more about my silly adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment